Go to SoniaCrouse.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

By Order Of The Crown!!


I am pretty sure you have seen this poster lately. The message reading Keep Calm And Carry On has now spread like wildfire in the last 5 years especially after Rachel Ashwell acquired it as a decorative item.

I bought my copy of course recently and as always I get intrigued by history. I love history. It is fascinating I think.I did get a small paper slip with my poster about its history and I also Wiki'ied it and I wanted to share what I learned.

By The Order Of The Crown

In The spring of 1939, during the beginning of World War II, The Ministry of Information in Great Britain commissioned a series of propaganda posters to distribute throughout the Country to strengthen the morale during the war. Two previous posters were, "Your Courage, Your Cheerfulness, Your Resolution Will Bring Us Victory" (800,000 printed) and "Freedom is in Peril" (400,000 printed) .
Two and a half million copies of Keep Calm And Carry On Slogan posters were printed but remained unseen by the public. They remained in reserve, intended to use only in times of crisis or invasion. Very few found their way onto Ministry Office walls.

Thats until more then fifty years later- In 2000, a copy of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster was rediscovered in Barter Books, a second-hand bookshop in Alnwick, Northumberland. Since Crown Copyright expires on artistic works created by the UK government after 50 years, the image is now in the public domain. The store's owners, Stuart and Mary Manley, were thus able to reprint copies at customers' requests, as did others, inside and outside Britain. It has inspired ranges of clothing, mugs, doormats, baby clothes and other merchandise from various vendors, plus a book of motivational quotations.

Designers of this poster are unfortunately unknown. We owe to them the credit to these uplifting words.

I hope you find this bit of information as interesting as I did. And while I am talking about British History, have you seen 'The King's Speech'?


I think Colin Firth is a remarkable actor and he did a great job in this movie. Again, piece of history. Malta was still a British colony at the time of King George VI's reign. 


So here is my movie recommendation for you. If you love movies like I do, then you should see this one. 

I have been hosting movie nights for my girlfriends for some time now, its a lot of fun. We have seen a few great movies and love to talk about what we saw. I couldn't believe it, my girlfriends have NOT seen MARIE ANTOINETTE..... Shockingly taking in a long loud breath!! 

So, thats it!!Bring your popcorn ladies, I'll have my tea and soda... no cheese nachos sorry. But tomorrow night is Marie Antoinette night at my house....


I serve tea a lot in my house. No one in town can serve a good cup a tea, like I do!! Trust me!! I treat everyone like royalty and pull out my fancy china.

--------------------------------------------

Before I go, I had to share with a sweetest blogger sent me this week on Valentines.

Sharon from My Life at Pansy Cottage Garden, agreed on an impromptu sweet little swap with me for Valentine's Day. She received my little mini Rococo journal I blogged about here. I had to put pictures up because I was so happy to find some time to create that I couldn't wait to share.Her package is pictured in the previous post.

Here is the package as I received it!! 

 She knows me very well.... Chocolate, Pink Roses and Sweet smell of French soap. A box filled with love right here!!  I LOVE the apron! Thank you so much Sharon for everything!!

 Cannot forget the coffee, I have been chugging it down by the gallons (exaggerating of course). Yes I have been needing it to pull the nights I have working.  




Of course, when I am walking around the house snapping pictures, This sweet face, keeps popping up in front of my camera saying "Chhheeeesseeeeee" Isn't he the cutest chums!!! 

Well, I think I am caught up for now so 
To Do Loo!!

Go create something beautiful today and if you are anywhere near the south east, I hope you are enjoying the sweet sunshine and somewhat warm weather we have been having.

Hugs To All

6 comments:

Gabriela Delworth said...

Hello Sonia,

I will definitely check this movie.
Love this sweet little face!


And...love your goodies I can smell that wonderful Gardenia soap from here.


~ Gabriela ~

mariondee-designs said...

Hi Sonia, your little boy is so cute!! What a lovely gift you received.. don't think I'd want to use the soap .. it's too pretty and I believe I have that exact same card! take care, Maryann

aimee said...

i was thinking of seeing that movie now i will make sure to see it. i loved reading the history on keep calm and carry on. so interesting.
blessings,
aimee

Adeline Country Cottage said...

wow amazing history on the "Keep Calm And Carry On"....didn't relize there was so much history behind the poster...like you I enjoy reading up on history...so thank you for the insite...I got the tea towel of it free with a magazine...the only thing is, it's pillar box red....so I think I'll hang it on the line for a few weeks to sun beach it and age it up!


I loved watching Marie Antoinette, mostley the interior styling and there gowns...truely beautiful....I so was born in the wrong era!

xxx
Kirstie
ps: I have enjoyed catching up on what you have been working on....thank you Sonia!

Shell said...

Wow, you receive a truly Valentine bounty of gifts.
The King's Speech was truly a great movie. Your friends will so love MA. It is a movie experience!!

Sugah Beez said...

What sweet treasures from such a nice friend! I am embarassed to say I too have not seen Marie Antoinette. {shocking, I know from a textile junkie!} I haved added it to my Netflix list. Raising my teacup in cheers for the girlie movie night!!
Have a great one!!
Heidi