Go to SoniaCrouse.com

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Smell the lavender!!

Well hello everyone!!

This past week has been one where I was so busy doing something or other all the time but I do not know why I feel like I got nothing done. Crazy thought...especially since this particular post has been started a few days ago and projects are stacking on it...

You might have noticed by now, I been playing with my blog background and topper AGAINNNN!! Well, I love doing the graphics and the way I see it, change makes it interesting and refreshing. It took me a while to figure out the background. I have seen all these cool bacgrounds in blogland, they are all pretty but I wanted my own with my pictures or scrapbook materials or fabrics, lace etc...

There was another background I came up with before this one but I decided not to use it, I wanted a more fancy background I guess.
This one I used Rachel ashwell fabric, mon ami and pink and faded white polka dots with some eyelet trim.




I could hand it out to anyone who would like to use it but I cannot paste code here without making my whole page going all funky so if you do want to try it just leave a comment here with your email saying you want to try it and I email you a notepad file with the code.

I also finished this frilly Marie Antionette Lavender Scented Sachet. Love the frills and the scalloped stitching on it. Yes, I love using the scalloped stitch on my sewing machine. It makes a real pretty detail. It is now up for sale in my Etsy store.


This weekend I worked on creating a purse. I drew the pattern myself then came up with the rest as I went along... and
Ta..daaaaa!!


Its small, its light, easy and holds anything I need... Plus, I love the print.
I think I did good!!!
Then yesterday, I went hunting at the thrift store. I didn't find much ecxept for a 8x10 gold ornated frame for a buck, a hard cover book and this dress!!!!
No, I'm not getting married again, and I'm not going to be the geeky bridesmaid eighter.... =)
I bought it cos I loved the fabric... I really did... I saw this dress last week and it was with the wedding dresses and I thought I did not want to spend money on a dress I didn't know what to do with. Yesterday I found out it was $5 so I decided, I had to take it with me since it intrigued me so much.



I immedietly washed it and put it apart...
Then after soaking in tea...
Then some more soaking in coffee...
And here is the material...
I covered the book in the fabric. Its the start of my new discovered hobby, so much fun Altered book. I especially like to work with fabrics for texture. I wanted the scrungy, tattered, look to it with ripped fabric instead of cutting. Only used sheers when I couldnt rip. I also got this gallon bag of lace from a church sale on saturday for a buck. Lace looked old and some where held together with rubber band that was so old that it fell apart.
So now I'm having fun ruffling all the lace for this craze of french rococo style creations.

Thats as far as I can show for now since really, there is nothing more to show. I want to work on this book and my idea is to create a coffee table book of my favorite rococo, 18th century paintings. So there you have it. You saw the start. I'll show the progress as I go along.
Well dear friends, that is all for today. I try and not wait so long to post again. This post broke the record of time it took me to post...lol Geez!!!
Perfect


Hugs To All

10 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Great idea to buy the dress for the materials. If I could find any for $5 they would definitely come home with me. That's a great bargain for those materials. Love the altered book. Have always wanted to do one, but simply haven't found the time yet. Can't wait to see yours evolve. ♥

Sandra said...

What a great buy in that dress. The material is beautiful. I love your altered book. Very pretty.
Blessings,
Sandra

Cat said...

Love what you did with the dress.. Could you please tell me more about your tea and coffee stains? I am tea dying crochet trims and I love it.. I would love to learn how to do altered books, any tips on how to get started?

Have a blessed day,
Cat

Here's a link to my sewing blog..
PaisleyCat's Sewing Room

Debby said...

WOW!!! So many beautiful pinks, the altered books are just beautiful.
Debby

dragonflydreamer said...

You are so talented and creative. From that dress to a beautiful altered book and the lovely Roccoco inspired designs. Lovely eye candy.

debi @ life in my studio said...

You've been busy! I love the beauties you've created...that purse is soooooo cute! What a great deal on the dress...and the book you've done is to die for!! Beautiful!

debi @ life in my studio said...

I'm back...a little slow in the brain today. I forgot to say that I LOVE your new blog look...it's sooooo pretty and romantic!

dragonflydreamer said...

Sonia, I was tagged by the sweetest blogger and now I've tagged you. Come by www.stardustmoonbeams.blogspot.com to check it out. I've put a link to your blog, but it's okay if you don't want to do it. I know you're busy and many people don't like to be tagged. No pressure. Hope you're having a great day.

Cassandra said...

Oh wow what a great find for $5! I love the material, and the detail on your book is stunning. Thanks for sharing!

janice15 said...

o I JUST LOVE YOUR BLOG IT IS INDEED WONDERFUL...SUCH PRETTY THINGS..HOW DO YOU OBTAIN THE FREE BACKGROUND? MY NAME IS JANICE IM YOUR NEWEST FOLLOWER..@ SPOONWITHER.BLOGSPOT.COM..LOVE IT HERE HAPPY TUESDAY...