Go to SoniaCrouse.com

Monday, May 25, 2009

Altered Book, continued...

Hello everyone!! I hope you are enjoying your long weekend (here in US). It has been a wonderful weekend for us here so far except for the rain on our cookout. Didn't stop us though.
It was nice and sunny on Saturday morning, in time for some Yard Sailing...lol!! Oh, I had some fun and found some good goodies too!! Lookie here... a pretty curtain panel with what looks like french village life prints on it. The lady who was selling them was very sad to part with it. But I assured her that this is going to make gorgeous pillows. She felt somewhat better. Oh, what about the prints, a painting by Boucher of Madame Bergeret!! Its my favorite. And another of Marquesa de Pontejos by Goya and family portrait by Drouais. All from the rococo era. I found a nice rosey tin and a few jewelry pieces for crafting. All for $7!!!(including a brand new car for my big boy who tagged along)

YardSaleMay23

Saturday night, hubby settled to do school work and I of course, settled in my studio. I decided to work on my first page on my altered book.
Now, I do not know where this venture is taking me, but where ever that is, it is FUN!!! Oh, fabrics, papers, glues and all kinds of pretty stuff. I love doing it. I don't know much about altered books, this would be my first, WHEN I complete it. I had worked on another book but never got any further then cover and first page. I ran out of ideas with that one for the time being. I'm sure I'll pick it up again.One problem I had with the first book was that the book itself was small and pages where so old, they fell apart. So When I was out hunting for this book, I did make sure it is bigger and pages were in great condition to take on all the glue and stuff. So youre ready??

Cover
Tadaaaa!!


1st Page



1st Page 1

Creating the pockets in the page is an idea I got from my Altered art books. I have a couple of books about Altered Books, one is 'Altered Book Collage' by Barbara Mathiessen and the other is 'Altered Art for the first time' by Madeline Arendt. They are both good books with great ideas and lots of inspirational images and I recommend them to anyone who is interested in picking up this kind of hobby.
The pockets will be great to store tags and pretty cutouts and such.

1st Page 3

I used golden threads to sew the lace to the pages. I love the detail. What do you think?

1st Page 4

I am painting some shelves to hang in my studio and that is where I will be displaying my book, opened on the shelf.

I hope you enjoyed visiting me today. Thank you for coming by. Make sure to leave me your comment so I can come visit and also, make sure to sign up for my giveaway. (button on the sidebar) Drawing day is getting close, Good Luck!!

Hugs To All


15 comments:

Cassandra said...

I know what you mean about the rain lol. UGH. Looks like you found some great deals. I saw photos of your book in Flickr. I just love it! It is stunning. I love the gold thread. Great idea. Thanks for sharing and visiting me.

Jodie LeJeune said...

Wow girl! It's beautiful!!!!

Ain't it fun just letting your creativity go wild and adding all kinds of stuff with no rules???

I bet your heart was singing!!!!! (I think I heard it from here)

What a great way to spend the weekend...

everything vintage

Floss said...

Amazing! How long does it take you to alter a book like that?

I just want to say thanks - I've used your first lovely picture from Pink Saturday for my Garden Party invitation and I'm delighted with it! You are invited to the blog party - do pop over if you'd like to join in.

Deborah@ The Painted Nest said...

Love your new book!!! I'm getting ready to start my first one also. I just think they are so stunning~~~beautiful!!! I can't wait to get started. I've been gathering things for a while now! Thank-you for the images~~~soooo sweet of you to share!!! Blessings, Deborah

Sares said...

The book is fabulous, of course. Everything I've seen that you've made has been! I wouldn't expect anything else from your talented self! I didn't know there was such a thing as book altering. Is the inside of the book the same? And what is in the center of the book? Are these silly questions, LOL?

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Your book looks so gorgeous!
Lots of time spent on that one I am sure:)
I love going to Yard sales,I call it Junkin!
I get the best stuff and often new for next to nothing!

Cottage Rose said...

Wow all I can say is Wow, I just love your altered books. You do such amazing work, you are very talented.
Thanks for sharing them....
oh and yea wow again for all the great goodies you found at the garage sale....

Hugs;
Alaura

Shabbyfufu said...

What a beautiful work of art Sonia, very impressive! Thank you for the get well wishes~xo~Janet

debi @ life in my studio said...

Sonia,
Your book is absolutely Stunning!!! Gold thread even...wow! I love the pocket page...what a wonderful idea. I've been wanting to alter a book...you've really inspired me!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Sonia, Your creation is gorgeous!! I love the gold threading! What a charming piece to open on your shelf. It will be beautiful and hold special treasures. Your work is wonderful!!

Have a great day.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Wow, Sonia!! What a beautiful book! My fav is the chandy page!!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

Love your beautiful book Sonia. Love the way the pages open. You used such beautiful colors! xo Heather

YSLGuy said...

The book is lovely. I need to get more supplies to be able to create something as lovely as that!

Elyse said...

hi sonia,

your book is amazing! the layers, details and materials are all beautiful. it must be a pleasure working with all of this cool and pretty stuff.

xo

Jessica at Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! said...

Wow. This is gorgeous. I'm going to have to pick up the books you recommended!